Worldwide caution from the U.S. State Department
Europe Travel Alert from the U.S. State Department
UNC Global encourages safe, culturally respectful global travel by UNC students, faculty and staff and wants to provide all of the necessary information to make those travels as successful as possible. The University has established travel policies and recommendations to help protect members of the UNC community while traveling.
A flyer with UNC’s travel-related requirements can be viewed online.
Global Travel Registry
- All UNC students, faculty, and staff traveling on UNC programs or projects are required to submit their itinerary to the registry. Login online.
- View the current warnings and restrictions on UNC-sponsored travel.
- Questions? Contact Andrew Hunt, executive assistant in the Office of the Vice Chancellor and Provost, email@example.com or +1.919.962.2198.
- Policy Concerning Global Study, Travel, and Research
- Authorization for University Travel
- Authorization for Travel by Senior University Administrators
- Policy on Export Controls
- Faculty, staff and students who experience an emergency while traveling abroad on University business should contact the UNC Department of Public Safety (DPS) at +1.919.962.8100.
- Public Safety is first in the chain of response. Students should ask DPS to contact the Dean of Students on call to find the appropriate resources for assistance. DPS will assist faculty and staff with identifying a human resources administrator or Employee Assistance Program officer who can provide support.
- A downloadable and printable Emergency Information Card is available.
- For emergency evacuation and other 24/7 health insurance assistance, call HTH Worldwide collect from outside the U.S. at +1.610.254.8771, toll free within the U.S. at 800.257.4823, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In an emergency, seek appropriate medical care immediately, and then call HTH Worldwide. Insurance coverage must be bought in advance of travel.
Global Risk Response Team
- The Global Risk Response Team is charged with assessing and responding to emerging travel and work risks and is empowered to disapprove travel to international sites when necessary and/or to remove students, staff and faculty from sites which are no longer safe or tenable. Research sites are included.
- The Global Risk Response Team is composed of:
- Jonathan Hartlyn, Senior Associate Dean for Social Sciences and Global Programs
- Andrew Hunt, Global Travel Registry Administrator
- Mary Beth Koza, Director, Environment, Health, & Safety
- Bob Miles, Associate Dean for Study Abroad and International Exchanges
- Desirée Rieckenberg, Senior Associate Dean of Students
- Ron Strauss, Executive Vice Provost and Chief International Officer
- Katie Bowler Young, Director of Global Relations