Founded in 2002, the Carolina Asia Center (CAC) is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s flagship organization for Asia-related activities and plays an important role in promoting the University’s global strategy.
The mission of the Center is to positively transform our understanding of and relationship with Asia and to equip students and others with the knowledge of Asia necessary to assume leadership roles.
The CAC is a Title VI National Resource Center for the study of Asia. Our programs have been also supported by the Freeman Foundation, the Mellon Foundation, the Japan Foundation, the Korea Foundation, the Thai Government and through partnerships with Duke University, North Carolina State University and the UNC system of universities and community colleges.
The center works with the College of Arts and Sciences, professional schools and various departments, centers and student organizations at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The center also collaborates with regional and international institutions to develop and implement educational programs on Asia. The center seeks to increase resources for the study and research of Asia and opportunities to engage with Asia through seminars, language study, outreach, cultural competency workshops, study abroad and visiting scholars programs.
Programs for Students
- Phillips Ambassadors Program
- Mahatma Gandhi Fellowship Program in collaboration with UNC SANGAM, a student run organization
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship
- Weir Honors Fellowship in Asia Studies
- Event Co-Sponsorship Grant
Programs for Faculty
- Asian Language Faculty Pedagogy Training/Professional Development and Course Development Grants
- Curriculum/Course Development Grant
- Jimmy and Judy Cox Asia Initiative Awards (Research Travel Grants and Conference Travel Grants)
Programs for Scholars
- China Initiative
- Korea Forum
- South Asia Working Group
- Southeast Asia Faculty Working Group
- Transnational Asia & Asian American Studies
- Triangle Center for Japanese Studies