- This event has passed.
Intro to COIL Workshop for UNC Faculty
September 22 at 1:45 pm - 3:00 pm
The Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs is hosting a workshop for faculty interested in incorporating Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) activities into their courses. The workshop is 1:45-3:00 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 22, via Zoom.Register
This workshop features:
- Hope Windle, Community Development Lead at the SUNY COIL Center
Hope facilitates and supports virtual exchange with faculty, coordinators and students for the 100+ SUNY COIL Global Network. Hope brings more than 15 years of instructional design experience.
- Lorna Avilés, 2022-2023 COIL Faculty Fellow and Teaching Assistant Professor of Spanish
Lorna served as the first COIL Faculty Fellow for the 2021-2022 academic year and has COILed SPAN 329: Spanish for Professional and Community Engagement with Universidad San Francisco de Quito in Ecuador.
- Michael Meredith, 2022-2023 COIL Faculty Fellow and Clinical Professor of Management and Corporate Communication
Michael has COILed BUSI 201: Business in Europe, focusing on central Europe with Corvinus University in Hungary.
- Lisa Woodley, 2022-2023 COIL Faculty Fellow and Clinical Associate Professor of Nursing
Lisa has COILed NURS 483: Family-centered Nursing Care from Birth through Adolescence with Universidade de São Paulo in Brazil.
Topics covered include:
- An introduction to COIL, a flexible pedagogical approach that allows instructors to partner with peers from across the world to develop collaborative activities that connect their students and meet the original learning objectives of each course, even across different disciplines.
- Breakout discussions where presenters and participants will share ideas on partners, activities and considerations for adapting courses to incorporate COIL activities.
- Program development resources and information on available funding for UNC faculty and graduate students. Faculty are eligible to receive curriculum development awards for undergraduate or graduate level courses. Award deadline: October 15, 2022.
All UNC faculty are welcome to participate in the workshop. Register to receive the Zoom link.
COIL courses are eligible to fulfill the High Impact requirement, pending individual course approval at the section level.
Faculty who are interested in incorporating COIL components into a course but who need support identifying a partner are encouraged to join the workshop and can work with the Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs to seek a potential partner. Please contact Sharmila Udyavar, associate director for global education: email@example.com