Carolina Global Food Program Announces Second Annual Competitive Scholarship for Summer 2017
February 2, 2017
The Carolina Global Food Program, an initiative of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Global Research Institute, is now accepting applications for its second annual competitive scholarship program for Summer 2017.
The Carolina Global Food Program will award a number of Summer Scholars up to $5,000 each to support summer research projects on a topic relating to food or agriculture, broadly conceived. The topic may have an academic or policy focus or an emphasis on public service. As such, scholars can adopt a number of disciplinary and methodological approaches. The program will give preference to projects that are responsive to the goals of the University theme Food for All: Local and Global Perspectives and the long-term advancement of food studies at UNC.
At the end of the award period, Summer Scholars will produce a written piece demonstrating knowledge gained during their summer research and share a presentation on their work in a group setting. Scholars may also be asked to serve on the screening committee in future years.
Questions and applications should be sent to email@example.com. More information about application requirements, the selection committee, and timeline are included below.
- Applicants must be a rising junior or rising senior at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Current resumé
- Statement of intent no longer than 1,000 words, reflective of the applicant’s writing ability
- Detailed budget
- Listing of other scholarship or award funding
- Reference from a UNC faculty member willing to serve as a project mentor
Application Screening Committee
- James Ferguson, Director, Carolina Global Food Program
- Samantha Buckner Terhune, Associate Director, Carolina Global Food Program
- Alice Ammerman, Director, Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Peter Coclanis, Director, Global Research Institute
- Application deadline: March 5, 2017
- Interviews: March 22-24, 2017
- Finalist notification: April 3, 2017
- Acceptance deadline: April 7, 2017