GSDI and School Faculty, Staff and Students Present at ICSD 22nd Bicentennial Conference
July 23, 2021
School of Social Work
The Old Well on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (Jon Gardiner/UNC-Chapel Hill)
Faculty, staff and students affiliated with UNC School of Social Work, Global Social Development Innovations (GSDI), recently participated in the Virtual International Consortium for Development (ICSD) 22nd Biennial Conference. GSDI co-hosted the conference in partnership with the Centre for Social Development Africa at University of Johannesburg; Center for Social Development at Washington University – St. Louis; and Peking University – Hong Kong Polytechnic University China Social Work Research Centre.
Distinguished professor Gina Chowa, assistant professor Rainier Masa, clinical assistant professor Neil Bilotta, doctoral students Alexandria Forte, Melissa Villodas, Stefani Baca-Atlas, Graham Zulu and staff member Miranda Manzanares presented on the following topics:
• The association of social support, HIV Stigma and HIV disclosure among youth living with HIV in Zambia
• Direct and indirect associations of nutritional status and self-efficacy with cognitive and academic abilities in Zambian adolescent girls: A longitudinal examination using structural equation modeling
• Correlates of perceived lack of safety and its association with treatment and psychosocial health outcomes in people living with HIV in rural Zambia
• Can social networks improve job search behaviors among low-income youth in resource-limited settings? Evidence from South Africa
• The mediating effects of self-efficacy on the relationship between employability attributes and job readiness: A longitudinal study
• A structural equation modeling approach to measure employability attributes and its association with job search behaviors in NEET youth
• Where are Youth?: Culturally responsive “youth contribution” in positive youth development in low and middle-income countries
Chowa, who was recognized for her efforts to advance the field of global social development, was presented with the Leadership in Social Development award from ICD President Dr. Manohar Pawar.
September 27, 2022
September 19, 2022