UNC to Host Delegation from Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Sept. 9-11
August 25, 2015
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will host a delegation led by President and Vice-Chancellor Bernd Engler from Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen in Germany Sept. 9-11.
Engler and the delegation are visiting UNC as part of their Research World Tour to develop collaborations with key institutional partners. They will be welcomed by Chancellor Carol L. Folt and Ron Strauss, executive vice provost and chief international officer.
The Tübingen faculty members will be hosted by their UNC collaborators in the Departments of Biology, Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures, Environmental Sciences and Engineering, and the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. In addition to exploring possible research and academic collaborations with UNC faculty and administrators, the Tübingen faculty members will present on their research. Their lecture topics range from contemporary German photography to plant cytokinesis.
UNC has a longstanding partnership with Tübingen. A student exchange program was initiated between the universities in 1986, and faculty and students in Germanic languages and literatures and American studies have been actively engaged in exchanges and collaborations for several years.
This visit builds on prior visits to UNC by President Engler and delegations from Tübingen in April of 2014 and 2012, as well as a June 2015 visit to Tübingen by Chancellor Folt. President Engler spent time at UNC as a research fellow in American studies from 1991 to 1992.
Delegation members and their lectures:
Bernd Engler, President and Vice-Chancellor
Peter Grathwohl, Vice-President for Research; and Professor of Hydrogeochemistry, Center for Applied Geoscience
Frauke Berndt, Professor and Chair for German Philology, Institute of Germanic Studies, Faculty of Humanities
- Berndt will lecture on “Beautiful Suffering: Friedrich Schiller and Contemporary German Photography” on Sept. 9 at 12:00 p.m. in Greenlaw Hall, Room 223.
Gerd Jürgens, Coordinator of Developmental Genetics, Centre for Plant Molecular Biology, Faculty of Science
- Jürgens will lecture on “Plant cytokinesis – a tale of membrane traffic and fusion” on Sept. 10 at 4:00 p.m. in Coker Hall, Room 215.
Stefan Laufer, Chair of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Institute of Pharmacy, Faculty of Sciences
- Laufer will lecture on “‘3rd Generation p38 MAPK Inhibitors for Neurodegeneration and Cancer” on Sept. 10 at 11:00 a.m. in 3004 Marsico Hall.
Klaus Sachs Hombach, Professor and Chair for Media Innovation and Media Change, Institute of Media Studies, Faculty of Humanities; Visiting Professor in the Department of Communication at UNC
Lars Zender, Professor and Head, Division of Translational Gastrointestinal Oncology; and Scientific Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center Tübingen, University Hospital Tübingen
- Zender will lecture on “In vivo RNAi technology and innovative cancer mouse models for accelerated target discovery in gastrointestinal tumors” on Sept. 9 at 9:00 a.m. in the Joseph S. Pagano Conference Room of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Christian Zwiener, Professor, Center for Applied Geosciences, Faculty of Science
- Zwiener will lecture on “Unhappy fish due to drug withdrawal by advanced wastewater treatment?” on Sept. 9 at 12:20 p.m. in the BCBS Auditorium of the Michael Hooker Research Center.
Andrea Schaub, Coordinator of Institutional Strategy, Excellence Initiative
Nici Sauer, Director of Student Exchange, Department of International Affairs