Faculty from Jinan University visited the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Eshelman School of Pharmacy and its Natural Products Research Laboratories (NPRL) directed by Kenan Distinguished Professor Kuo-Hsiung Lee, on Oct. 16 and 17 for a symposium on the globalization of Chinese medicine. This symposium was organized by Katie Musgrove, the executive associate for the NPRL.
Lee was invited to Jinan University in Guangzhou, China in May to deliver a lecture entitled “Perspectives and strategies on discovery and development of world-class new drugs from Chinese herbal medicine and formulas” and to discuss both the NPRL’s and Jinan University’s traditional Chinese medicine programs. He reciprocated by inviting members of the Jinan faculty to visit UNC.
“We have made a great effort to become a global school,” said Dhiren Thakker, interim dean of the School. “We want our faculty and students to connect with others around the world. We continue to look for partnerships and connections globally.”
The Jinan faculty members who presented during the symposium were
- Xinsheng Yao, “The opportunities and challenges facing the globalization of Chinese medicine;”
- Hao Gao, “Apparent-equivalent diastereoisomerism and the structural identification based on NMR data comparison;”
- Ying Wang, “Securinega alkaloids from the plants of flueggea spp;”
- Yi Dai, “Case studies of effective ingredients in TCM and its compound preparations based on representative chemical structures;”
- Dongmei Zhang, “A vascular disrupting agent with a novel mechanism of action;” and
- Xiaoyun Lu, “Structure-based design of n-(3-((1h-pyrazolo[3, 4-b]pyridin-5-yl)ethynyl) benzene-sulfonamides as selective ZAK inhibitors.”
Presenting on behalf of the the Natural Products Research Laboratory were
- Kuo-Hsiung Lee, “Perspectives on Modern Drug Discovery and Development from Chinese Herbal Medicine and TCM Formulas;”
- Susan Morris-Natschke, “The NPRL: A progressive center for natural products-based discovery and design of new drug candidates;”
- Masuo Goto, “Casual talk/discussion about bioassays to screen and characterize natural products;” and
- Lan Xie, “Discovery and optimization of new leads as novel anti-tumor agent. From hit to potential drug candidates.”