Global Partnership Awards
Global Partnership Awards
Global partnerships have the power to enrich research and teaching for faculty across various schools and departments.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs offers Global Partnership Awards to support Carolina faculty interested in exploring or expanding collaboration with an international partner. The awards may support activities such as:
- Developing joint research, joint academic programs or courses
- Organizing conferences or workshops
- Presenting lectures
- Providing training
- Serving on graduate student committees
As of fall 2022, Global Partnership Awards are offered at two levels.
Provides funding for activities that are exploratory in nature and will lead to a new partnership or expand an existing partnership. Maximum award amount is $2,000.
Proposed activities may:
• Involve any partner institution in another country
• Fund outbound or inbound visits or other collaborative activity
Provides funding for the expansion or deepening of an existing partnership. Award amounts range from $2,500-$8,000.
Proposed activities should:
• Engage UNC schools or departments (or other UNC faculty) that had not been previously involved in the partnership or add significantly new types of collaboration to the partnership
• Facilitate sustained interactions or continued collaborative activity with the partner institution
• Align with at least one Carolina Next strategic initiative or contribute to UNC’s strategic or key partnerships
Who is eligible?
Full-time faculty members are eligible to apply. Recipients are limited to one award per academic year.
Graduate students are not eligible to apply but may receive funds as part of a faculty application.
When must I submit my application?
Application deadlines for 2022-2023 are Dec. 5, 2022, and March 15, 2023. Applications will be considered outside of these dates on an individual basis.
• Does the proposal have the potential to develop a new partnership or make a catalytic impact on an existing partnership?
• How is the proposal tied to Carolina Next strategic initiatives? In what other ways does the proposed activity benefit UNC-Chapel Hill?
• Does the proposal include one of Carolina’s strategic or key partners?
• Does the proposal expand a partnership to a new Carolina unit or engage new participants?
• Is the proposal adequate and appropriate to achieve the expected results?
• Is the budget clear and reasonable? Are alternate sources of funding identified?
• Does the proposal go beyond personal research and projects to advance a partnership?
• Use awards primarily for travel and accommodation expenses.
• Use Concur to book flights and to process reimbursement for other travel expenses.
• Ask for approval in advance for other types of expenses (disbursement process will depend on the approved expense).
• Utilize funds within six months of the award date.
• Awards may not be used for salary support, honoraria or consulting fees.
• Submit a report (with pictures, if possible) within one month of the initiative describing the activity that occurred and how the partnership was advanced.
• Comply with UNC-Chapel Hill’s travel requirements, including obtaining approval prior to travel, purchasing international health insurance and observing current warnings and restrictions.
• Check for IRB Compliance if involving research with human or animal subjects.
The pan-University Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, a donor-provided annual gift fund, is a source of support for the Global Partnership Awards.
Krista Northup, Director of Global Partnerships | email@example.com
Melissa McMurray, Associate Director of Global Partnerships | firstname.lastname@example.org