The FedEx Global Education Center provides an inviting environment that expands upon the University’s public service mission domestically and across the globe. The building was constructed in 2007 as a tangible demonstration of the University’s commitment to global education.
The Center brings together three major components of global education: student and faculty services, academic instruction, and programs and research. Centers, institutes, and offices housed in the building work pan-university to support global activity across campus.
This 80,000 square-foot, mixed-use space is home to UNC Global and includes classrooms, seminar rooms and events and exhibition space. The building hosts hundreds of events each year, with community programming ranging from lectures to performances to art exhibitions. The state-of-the-art Nelson Mandela Auditorium has been the site of performances by internationally renowned musicians, global dignitaries and events such as TEDxUNC and the annual Visualizing Human Rights anti-conference hosted by the Center for Global Initiatives.
Designed by award winning architect Andrea Leers of Leers Weinzapfel Associates, the Center has helped to set a new standard on campus for sustainable design as we recognize our responsibility to the environment. A 50,000 gallon cistern built underneath the lawn stores rainwater to be recycled into the building’s restrooms. Additionally, the Center has partnered with the UNC Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling to begin a pilot composting program in an effort to reduce landfill waste.
In the building:
- African Studies Center
- Carolina Asia Center
- Carolina Center for the Study of the Middle East and Muslim Civilizations
- Center for European Studies –A Jean Monnet Center of Excellence
- Center for Global Initiatives
- Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies
- Curriculum in Global Studies
- Diplomat in Residence, U.S. Department of State
- Global Research Institute
- Institute for the Study of the Americas
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Study Abroad Office
- UNC Global Development and Global Relations
- ExpressOasis Café