Global Partnership Awards
Global Partnership Awards
Global partnerships have the power to enrich research and teaching for faculty and provide opportunities for students across the Carolina campus.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs offers Global Partnership Awards to create and sustain meaningful relationships with international partner institutions (typically a college or university). The awards support faculty who engage in collaborative activities such as:
- Visiting the partner institution for networking and exploratory discussions
- Developing collaborative research
- Establishing joint academic programs, courses or opportunities for students
- Organizing joint workshops to engage partner faculty and graduate students
- Presenting lectures or seminars
- Serving on graduate student committees
The pan-University Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, a donor-provided annual gift fund, is a source of support for the Global Partnership Awards.
Global Partnership Awards are offered at two levels: Exploration Grants and Expansion Grants. Faculty are encouraged to contact the OVPGA partnerships team for advice on writing a strong application or to ask questions about which grant, partner, or project may be most appropriate.
Funding for activities that will build on connections between faculty members and lead to a new partnership or add a new unit to an existing partnership. Maximum award amount is $2,000.
- The partner institution should be a college or university (unless prior approval granted).
- Funds can be used to support outbound or inbound visits or other collaborative activity.
- The initiative must contribute to building an institutional partnership and not solely allow the applicant to conduct personal research or attend a conference.
Funding for the expansion or deepening of an existing institutional partnership to new units and/or participants. Maximum award amount is $8,000.
Proposed activities should:
- Involve significant collaborative activity between the institutions beyond individual research projects.
- Engage new UNC units or faculty in the partnership or add new types of collaboration.
- Facilitate sustained collaborations with the partner institution (a college or university, unless prior approval granted).
- Contribute to UNC’s strategic or key partnerships and/or align with at least one Carolina Next strategic initiative.
Application Deadlines & Information
Application deadlines for 2023-2024 are Oct. 31, 2023, and March 31, 2024. Applications will be considered outside of these dates on an individual basis.
Questions? Attend the next virtual information session on Sept. 27 at 3:30 pm!
Full-time faculty members are eligible to apply. Recipients are limited to one award per academic year. Graduate students are not eligible to apply but may receive funds as part of a faculty application.
- Does the initiative have the potential to develop a new institutional partnership or expand an existing partnership?
- Does the initiative advance an institutional partnership beyond personal benefit to the applicant?
- Does the initiative include one of Carolina’s strategic or key partners?
- How does the partnership benefit Carolina? Does the initiative address a Carolina Next strategic initiative?
- Is the budget clear and reasonable? Are alternate sources of funding identified?
- Awards should primarily be used for travel and accommodation expenses.
- Concur must be used to book flights and process reimbursement for other travel expenses (unless approval is recevied in advance).
- Approval must be requested in advance to use the award for other types of expenses (disbursement process will depend on the approved expense).
- Funds should be utilized within six months of the award date.
- Awards may not be used for salary support, stipends, honoraria, conference registration fees or to purchase equipment.
- Submit a report (with pictures, if possible) within one month of the initiative describing the activity that occurred and how the partnership was advanced (instructions will be provided in the award letter).
- Comply with UNC-Chapel Hill’s travel requirements, including obtaining approval prior to travel, purchasing international health insurance and observing current warnings and restrictions.
- Check for IRB Compliance if involving research with human or animal subjects.
Krista Northup, Director of Global Partnerships | email@example.com
Melissa McMurray, Associate Director of Global Partnerships | firstname.lastname@example.org