Chancellor’s Global Education Fund
Chancellor’s Global Education Fund
The Chancellor’s Global Education Fund is the only pan-university fund supporting Carolina’s strategic global priorities. Thanks to private gifts from alumni, parents, students and friends, the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund makes possible UNC’s mission to serve the state of North Carolina, the nation and the world.
Annual gifts to the fund give University leaders the flexibility to provide funding to students, faculty and programs supporting Carolina’s top global priorities. Contributions of all levels are important, and gifts can be made online.Give now
Donor support to the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund exceeded $400,000 in fiscal year 2019 (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019). Those dollars have been used to:
- Establish more than 40 student internships and research fellowships for both graduate and undergraduate students across a wide range of majors and disciplines, including the Vimy Award, which is given annually to one interdisciplinary team of students working collaboratively to pursue research or service projects outside the U.S.
- Create new globally themed courses, ranging from Arabic, business Chinese, Persian, immigration and cultural identity to peace and popular culture in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Offset federal funding cuts of 47 to 55 percent to UNC’s acclaimed area studies centers in the College of Arts and Sciences, which provide funding for foreign language instruction, the expansion of library collections and research awards for faculty.
- Co-sponsor 17 lectures and programs on topics such as Arctic sovereignty issues, the Arab Spring, trends in the European Union and UNC’s two-year, pan-university theme, Food for All: Local and Global Perspectives.
- Develop strategic partnerships with leading international institutions, including King’s College London, National University of Singapore, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen in Germany, Peking University in China, the University of San Francisco de Quito in Ecuador, and UNC’s global health partnerships in Malawi and Zambia.
We’ve wrapped up the pilot of Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) courses, and students are sharing how this new opportunity for international virtual engagement has influenced the class experience in meaningful ways.
“It’s always good to have a global take on things. Meeting students from other countries is a good way to first-hand experience and understand viewpoints that may be different from your own.”
– Senior from MUSC 214, Fall 2020
UNC Global Honor Roll
Our profound thanks to our Chancellor’s Global Leadership Council members and individuals who have supported the Chancellor’s top global priorities between July 1, 2019, and June 30, 2020. These important gifts advance Carolina’s global strategies through international opportunities for students, faculty and staff. Please click below to expand.
Previous Honor Rolls
- 2019 Chancellor’s Global Education Honor Roll
- 2018 Chancellor’s Global Education Honor Roll
- 2017 Chancellor’s Global Education Honor Roll
- 2016 Chancellor’s Global Education Honor Roll
- 2015 Chancellor’s Global Education Honor Roll
For questions about the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, contact Daniel Lebold, director of development for UNC Global. There are many ways you can make a gift, including online. You can also contact one of UNC Global’s development team members to discuss the best way to make a pledge.
Director of Development for UNC Global