The strongest international partnerships at UNC-Chapel Hill have developed over the course of many years, with connections often first identified at a faculty-to-faculty scholarly or research level or through a student exchange program. Initial interactions enable faculty and staff to identify mutual goals, shared interests, curricular considerations and institutional values, establishing a foundation for linkages to extend across disciplines and gain momentum as university-level relationships. Such strategic partnerships typically involve multi-layered collaborations spanning a number of disciplines and receive sustained institutional investment; these partnerships also include faculty and student exchanges, joint research and shared institutional resources.
Carolina’s strategic partners include:
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
- Global Health in Malawi and Zambia
- King’s College London
- National University of Singapore
- Universidad San Francisco de Quito
Other Key Partners
Beyond strategic partnerships, UNC-Chapel Hill has a number of flourishing school-level partnerships with institutions around the globe, most rooted in faculty relationships or student exchanges. For example:
- The Adams School of Dentistry established the DentAlliance in 2020, together with King’s College London, the National University of Singapore and the University of Melbourne, to advance and transform research, education and practice in dentistry and the oral and craniofacial health sciences.
- The Eshelman School of Pharmacy initiated the PharmAlliance in 2014. This trilateral research and educational partnership includes Monash University in Australia and University College London in England.
- The Gillings School of Global Public Health has close ties to Cambridge University in England.
- A number of departments and centers in the College of Arts and Sciences collaborate with Universität Bremen in Germany.
- The Eshelman School of Pharmacy, the School of Medicine, and the Hussman School of Journalism and Media, along with several College of Arts and Sciences departments, have relations with Fudan University in China.
- UNC-Chapel Hill’s history of work in Cuba and with Cuban institutions is reflected in relationships the College of Arts and Sciences and Gillings School of Global Public Health have with Universidad de Habana.
- There are numerous connections in the College of Arts and Sciences with Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.