The Global Partnership Awards are designed to help sustain and develop partnerships between the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and international institutions. Awards will be made to support faculty, staff and students engaging in collaborations with colleagues at international institutions (typically colleges or universities), with preference given to proposals that include designated UNC strategic or key partners. Individuals collaborating with colleagues at any international institution are welcome to apply.
Administered by the Global Relations office, Global Partnership Awards are supported by the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, the only pan-University, unrestricted fund that supports UNC’s top global priorities.
Awards are intended to be used for travel expenses (airfare, transportation, lodging, per diem) for UNC faculty, staff or students to visit a partner institution to facilitate joint research or course development, organize conferences/symposia, present papers/lectures, provide training, serve on graduate student committees or engage in other collaborative activities. Other expenses may be considered. However, proposed initiatives must advance a partnership between institutions and not solely enable the applicant to conduct personal research or projects.
Awards cannot be used for stipends, honorarium, consulting fees or for students to enroll in courses, practicum, or study abroad programs/exchanges.
- Maximum of $3,000 given per award
- Average award is $1,450
- Faculty/staff applicants must be full-time and can be from any UNC-Chapel Hill unit.
- Student applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking and be returning to UNC for at least a semester after the proposed initiative. Students must have a faculty sponsor to apply.
- Preference is given to outbound UNC personnel, but faculty/staff may apply for colleagues at partner institutions to come to UNC.
- Recipients are limited to one award each academic year.
Application Information and Instructions:
- All funding for 2016-2017 has been distributed. Application deadlines for 2017-2018 will be announced in August.
- To apply as a faculty or staff member, please complete the Global Partnership Award Application Form.
- Students must have a faculty sponsor apply on their behalf. Faculty sponsors should complete the Student Application Form.
Applications will be received by a committee comprised of the Director of Global Relations, the International Liaison Officer, the Director of the Global Research Institute, and a representative from a FedEx Global Education Center unit. The committee will send recommended proposals to the Chief International Officer for final approval. Proposals are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Does the initiative include a strategic or key partner?
- Does the initiative have the potential to advance a partnership? Does it expand a partnership to a new UNC unit or engage new faculty or students?
- Is the initiative adequate and appropriate to achieve the expected results?
- Is the proposal specific and well-written?
- Is the budget clear and reasonable? Are alternate sources of funding identified?
Requirements for Award Recipients:
- Funds will be dispersed as reimbursements unless there are special circumstances (save original receipts).
- Comply with UNC’s travel policy, including current warnings and restrictions (students must complete the appropriate waiver).
- Submit itinerary to UNC’s Global Travel Registry.
- All faculty, staff and students traveling abroad in affiliation with the University are required to purchase travel health insurance.
- Check for IRB Compliance – Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval is required for research with human or animal subjects.
- Submit a report (with pictures if appropriate) within a month of the initiative describing the activity that took place and how the partnership was advanced.
- Awards funds must be utilized within six months of the award date.
International Liaison Officer